Create an exercise routine
To create an exercise routine to maintain a healthy weight
Let's start with why this is important:
- a routine with healthy exercise will make you feel good about yourself
- a routine after 30 days becomes a habit, so it will become part of your lifestyle easily
- regular exercise improves your mental health
It is recommended that you get at least 30 minutes each day of physical activity.
Some ideas to get you thinking
- get off a train or tram stop earlier than you normally would and walk the rest of the way home
- do a workout at home and ask those you live with to join in
- try a dance routine on Tik Tok
- when you talk to someone on the phone walk around, you'll be surprised how many steps you get in
- go for a swim, a swim in the ocean/sea is always free but make sure there are lifeguards on duty or that you go with another person
- ride a bike to your destination instead of a car, train or tram
Here is how to workout at home, with just your furniture to help you - no gym required!
Create a fitness calendar
Follow along with this simple beginner routine, click on the links to do the exercise.
Print this out and write your own fitness calendar. Here are a list of activities that you might add to it.
Create a sport to do list
Here is a list of different types of sports, print this out, complete it and give yourself a time frame to try something new.
To get more support and advice on starting a healthy exercise routine visit:
- Your doctor
- Victorian Aboriginal Health Service at 186 Nicholson St, Fitzroy or call (03) 9419 3000
- Melbourne Aboriginal Youth, Sport and Recreation Co-op at 184 Gertrude St, Fitzroy or call (03) 9486 9123
A guide to youth sport and fitness in Victoria