Why We Matter
At Wombat we pride ourselves on the quality of service that we deliver to some of the most vulnerable people in the Inner West. As a small community based agency, we are able to be responsive and flexible in adapting to the individual and changing needs of our clients. We boast a highly skilled and experienced team of staff. Our diversity, which we see as a strength of our workplace culture, is essential in providing a compassionate, respectful and accountable service to all our clients.
Wombat is an integral part of the homelessness service system, having forged strong and lasting partnerships within the sector. Anyone can experience homelessness, though it doesn’t have to be permanent.
Wombat has consistently supported and empowered some of the most disadvantaged people in our community to exit the homelessness system.
Wombat supports people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in and around Melbourne's West. Wombat delivers high-quality support services and is a leading advocate to reduce homelessness and ensure a fair housing system.
For people of all ages to have access to safe, dignified, and secure housing - and the support they need to keep their homes and fully participate in the community.
Wombat’s values guide our culture and decision making, from policy development to service delivery, encompassing all of our relationships, including our board, staff, service users and external stakeholders.
- Responsiveness: We endeavor to respond to the individual need of people seeking our support and provide a flexible approach where possible.
- Authenticity: We place high value on being honest, genuine, and communicating as directly and as clearly as possible.
- Connection: We foster connection, warmth, and good humour within our organisation and in our dealings with others.
- Accountability: We endeavor to be open, transparent, and accountable to each other, to the people who use our services, to government and to the wider community.
- Innovation: We are open to new ideas and embrace change. We will continue to explore new and innovative service delivery models and advocacy strategies. We acknowledge success and failure to learn from both.
Wombat recognizes that children are affected by homelessness and have a right to feel safe and secure. The welfare of the children that use our service is our first priority and we have a zero tolerance towards child abuse. Wombat has developed an organizational culture focusing on child safety, which includes commitment from the leadership and board, a child safety review of all policies and processes, all staff having current working with police and children checks and an ongoing dedicated children’s working group. Our aim is to create a child safe and child friendly environment where children feel safe, supported and can have fun.
Childrens Brochure. A Childs Rights. 2018. DC 0271 v1 06.2018