How to access and enrol my child into childcare, kinder or school

There are so many benefits to your child when they take part in early childhood education programs. To learn how to access childcare, enrol in kinder and primary school follow the information below.


To apply for childcare, kinder or school

Let's start with why this is important:

  • Early learning and child care allows children to develop and become socially aware while supporting parents into work
  • The Australian Government provides subsidies for all parents to esnure they can access childcare and early childhood education
  • It is compulsary for children to be enrolled in school by the time they turn six

What to do next

Enrolling your child in childcare

Use this website to find a provider you like. Your child care service will ask you to complete an enrolment form. They’ll ask for your child’s Customer Reference Number (CRN)

You can find their CRN:

If you can’t find your child’s CRN, you can contact us on the Families line.

Three and four year old kinder

Kindergarten is an important step for your child. Through kindergarten children learn skills they will build on throughout life. Children can be enrolled in a kindergarten program if they are at least three years old by 30 April in the year they will attend the kindergarten program. In Victoria, quality kindergarten programs are offered at long day care centres, community kindergartens and some schools.

Your child may be eligible for free or low-cost kindergarten with free access to a kindergarten program for up to 15 hours per week.

The Three-Year-Old Kindergarten Enquiry Line is available Mon to Fri between, 9am to 5pm on 1800 338 663 if you are experiencing difficulties accessing a kindergarten program enrolment for your child

To find a centre close to you use this website:

Enrolling in school

To start primary school your child will need to turn 5 years old by 30 April in the year that they start school.

Visit to find your designated neighbourhood school (referred to as your local school) and other nearby government schools. All government schools are zoned which means if you live in that school's zone then you have the right to enrol at this school and the school must accept you. However, you can look at other schools in the area and ask if they have room to accept your enrolment if you are outside of their zone.

You can enrol your child in a Victorian government primary school at any time during the year.

More Information & Services


A phone service for parents and carers of children from birth to 18 years old. They offer confidential and anonymous counselling and support on parenting issues.

Education | Victorian Government

Victorian Governments guide to your education options and enrolment steps.

The Orange Door is the new access point for women, children and young people who are experiencing family violence or families who need assistance with the care and wellbeing of children to access the services they need to be safe and supported.

All Relationships