How to apply for government housing

Want to apply for social & affordable housing and not sure how? Follow the guide below to get more information & start the process.


To know how to apply for social housing

Let's start with why this is important:

  • public housing is for people on low incomes, at risk of homelessness or victims of family violence who need housing, if you are eligible then you should apply but be aware that wait times vary from 8 - 24 months on priority lists
  • Public housing is provided by the Department of Family, Fairness & Housing at an affordable rent that is calculated as a percentage of household income. Waiting lists in Victoria are very long, which means that public housing is certainly not the way to solve your immediate housing crisis but can be a long term solution.

What to do next

Apply Online

You can apply for social housing online using the Victorian Housing Register Application through myGov:

  • Go to the myGov website and sign in to your myGov account. If you don't have one, you'll need to create a myGov account (it should only take a few minutes)
  • Pick 'HousingVic online services' in myGov's 'Services' section - this will link it to your myGov account
  • Open HousingVic online services and select 'Victorian Housing Register application'

Once you have filled out the online application and attached any documents needed, a copy of the completed application will be sent to your email address.

SOURCE - Housing.Vic

Paper Application

If you do not want to apply online, download and print the:

You can also get copies of these applications from one of these offices.

These applications let you tell us about yourself, another adult household member and up to four dependants or people under the age of 18 who will live with you.

If there are other adults or dependants who will live with you and you need more space, use the:

If there are health-related reasons why you need to live in a particular place or type of property, get your health professional to complete the special accommodation requirements form (.pdf). An accessible version of the special accommodation requirements form (.docx) is also available.

Send the forms and the documents to:

Victorian Housing Register

Department of Health and Human Services – HCC

Reply Paid 933

Moe VIC 3825

SOURCE - Housing Vic

If you are experiencing homeless and receiving support, or you need housing urgently, you may be eligible for Priority Access. You will need a support worker to fill in an application form for you.
Support workers can access the form through the Funded Agency Channel.
If you do not have a support worker, find out how to get one on our Crisis and emergency contacts page.

More Information & Services

To speak with a housing and support worker, if you find yourself experiencing homeless, at risk of homelessness or escaping family violence, call 1800 825 955 - 24 hour, statewide, toll free number.

Applying for public housing

A simple guide to applying for public housing

All Housing