The program provides support and assistance to young people aged 17-21 who are exiting or recently exited statutory care placement in residential, foster, kinship or lead tenant. The role of the program is to assist young people to make the transition from statutory care to independent living. The program provides medium-term shared housing for up to three months and pathway options to longer term housing (head lease private rental or community housing) for a period of 12 months. The program utilises the Housing Readiness for Young People (HRYP) tool to assist young people to understand and plan for independent living.
What we do:
- Facilitate a smooth transition from statutory care into the community.
- Assess and develop independent living skills using the HRYP tool.
- Assistance to develop a support plan that identified needs, future goals and plans.
- Assistance to obtain and maintain long term housing or links to appropriate accommodation options.
- Referral and linkages to specialist services and community connections.
- Are aged 17-21 years exiting or have recently exited residential care, lead tenant, foster care or kinship care.
- Reside or have links to the Inner West suburbs of Melbourne.
- Assessed as job ready or currently employed.
- Demonstrate medium to high level independent living skills.
- Willing to reside in shared housing.
- Willing to engage with a worker on a regular basis.
Referrals will be taken by the program when there is a housing vacancy. Contact the program via email email@example.com or phone 8327 2222 to speak with a worker.